Meeting of Court of D’oyer, 12th February 1721, enacting By Laws including lay out of The Lough and election among other of Dutchman Theodore Van Sevenhoven (Lavitt’s Quay earlier called after him)
Courtesy Cork Historical and Archaeological Journal.
There was a Dutch influence in Cork using engineering expertise in reclaiming the marshes. The Mardyke is Dutch in name. The Van Sevenhoven were important merchants and the quays in the area of the present Lavitt’s Quay was called after them.
Cork in the 18th century was one of the most important ports in Northern Europe roughly equalling Bristol in trade and population. This was enabled by the mercantile elite mainly Protestant and Quaker who had important contacts in London which aided the victualling trade with the Colonies and armed forces. It stagnated in the 19th century and at the end of that century Bristol was five times bigger.