Gumbelton Estates including areas of Kilcrohane and Durrus West Cork, William Edward Gumbleton (1840-1911) garden at Belgrove, Great Island, Cobh, Co. Cork and donation of Botanic library to Botanic Gardens at Glasnevin.

 

It Is likely that the Gumbletons acquired parts f the former Boyle/Devonshire estates fro low rents through the intervention of their relations the Conner/Connors/O’Connors of bandon/Manch. They were agent to the Devonshire estate until they got their P45 for favouring relations to the detriment of the estate.

 

Gumbleton Magistrates:

 

Richard Gumbletown, Junior, 1735, Marshtown, Fermoy

Henry C. Gumbleton, Pre 1831

William Edward Gumbelton, 1866, Belgrove, Queenstown, Resident, £141

Friendly Cove:
http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=2675&estate_id=2491

Fort Lodge:
http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=2676&estate_id=2491

Generally:
http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=2491

William Edward Gumbleton was descended from the Cork Quaker Penroses, the shipping family on his mother’s side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Edward_Gumbleton

The gardens at Belgrove were of international repute. The library attaching were bequeathed to the Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin, Dublin.

1-IMG_5914

2-IMG_5915

3-IMG_5918

2-IMG_5917

1-IMG_5916