Around the area there are remnants of flax holes used to ret the flax. There are two on Jimmy Swanton’s lands alongside the Durrus River and there was another in Francie Hickey’s old holding at Rusheeniska, as well as a number of flax ponds in Brahalish. There is a well in Dunbeacon known as tobar a’lin (the well of the flax). At the end of the Napoleonic Wars it is estimated that there were between 20,000 and 60,000 employed in various flax enterprises, and when contraction came from mechanised flax spinning in 1826 it had serious consequences for the area. The advent of cotton also reduced demand for linen. Emigration of reasonably prosperous Protestant small holders commenced, later followed by Catholics. In evidence to the Devon Commission taken in Bantry in 1844, it is clear that there was significant emigration and the poorer classes were impeded due to the lack of money for the fare. When protective duties ended in 1820 this spelled the end of flax growing.
In the census of 1821, Richard Cole, aged 49, of Coolcoulaghta is returned as a farmer and weaver, and in the census of 1841 Gregory Cole, aged 46, of Brahalish is a linen weaver. Elements of a textile industry lingered on, as the Marriage Register of St. James’s Church Durrus lists James and John Croston, Brahalish and John Croston Moulanish as weavers in 1846, Mary Dulelow, Crottees cordweaver, Gregory Cole, Coolculaghta, weaver 1849 and John and Daniel Leary, ropemakers, Kilveenogue 1850. In the folklore around Kilcrohane there are references to the collection of urine which was used in freize making. The 1901 Census records two Johnson families in the village described as wool and lined weavers.