This was formerly McCarthy land it came into Hutchinson hands and was part of the estate of Arthur Hutchinson sold in the Landed Estates Court in 1853.
Letting of Clonee, Durrus, West Cork, 1679 to George Simms in trust for Widow Burridge of Ross?.
In the Paddy O’Keeffe papers relating to a Genealogical query there is a reference to this letting. The land at Aghagoheen, Skart nearby were let to Mr. Reed Esq at £27 p.a. This may be connected to Colonel Reid who got a charter of the lands around 1650.
It comes from Richard Caulfield’s book p. 174 of the Rent Roll of the Lands of the Bishop of Cork, and this is the 1st April 1679.
The Western Estate of the Bishop of Cork included lands at Schull. Kilcrohane, Bantry, Letterlickey which may have belonged to the Abbey Of St. Catherine in Waterford or Youghal prior to its suppression. That in turn may have originated with the Norman’s incursions into West Cork.
The Symms family reputedly had a brewery in Bantry in the 18th century. A number of the family are buried in the old churchyard.
Will widow Francis Burridge nee Moore probably of Rosscarbery. She is the 1659 census a widow in Newtown, Bantry then a substantial settlement. In cold weather the street layout is visible. william is a name that seems to run in the Moore family.
From 1833 Denis O’Callaghan Fisher’s genealogical transcriptions in National Library, Manuscript Section.
Durrus Old Wills:
Reblogged this on West Cork History.