Apart from Medicine the Callanans were prominent Apothecaries in Cork:
Callanan family hereditary Physicians to the McCarthy Riabhachs, 1798 in West Cork, Dr. John Richard Elmore owner of largest Linen Mill in Munster in Clonakilty 1820s and Dr. William and Albert Callnan, Clonakilty.
The head of the Dunmanway McCarthys, Gerry na Duna, eloped c 1750 with a Miss Calnan of Clonakilty they later separated.
From the Southern Star:
1798 Leader in Clonakilty: Interesting story of Dr William Callanan
The Southern Star, Saturday February 4th, 1978
Many people regret that they allowed some old seanachaí to take his lore to the grave with him. Indeed, oral tradition often adds colour and warmth to our past. But it often falls down on accuracy and perspective. In recent years an old man, since dead, was certain that his grandfather had watched Cromwell burning Timoleague friary.
Fortunately, we know that even the grandfather’s great-great-grandfather could not have seen this event since the friary was burned seven years before Cromwell’s arrival in Ireland.
It is not always so easy to re-focus the blurts caused by faulty folk memory. A case in point is that of Dr William Callanan, once a well-known figure in the Clonakilty area and a leader in the United Irishmen. The basic error in all our too scanty information about him is the supposition that during the 1798 period he was living in Ballymacowen. He was then in fact living where the Convent of Mercy now stands. There was indeed a Dr Callanan in Ballymacowen. He was also known as An Dochtuir MacEoin and he lived where Mrs Michael O’Neill now lives. His herb garden was near the house.
The following is an excerpt from ‘A Historical Pedigree of the Sliochd Feidhlimidh MacCarthy of Glennacroim’ (p 111) by Daniel McCarthy Glas. He speaks of Denis Oge (Donncha Og) ‘an outlaw ever at war with authority’ who has filled the vale of Crom with traditions of violence and revenge.’
‘Denis has also a daughter, Angel or Angelina, who married Owen Callanan, the father of Dermod MacOwen, a physician who resided at Clonakilty, but whose celebrity passed beyond the limits of that small town, and it is believed on one occasion procured him the honour of attendance on HRH The Duke of York. Owen Callanan had by his wife Angelina a daughter Mary married to Cornelius MacCarthy (of the Clan Dermod) brother of then PP of Innishannon by whom he had a daughter Nora, married to Mr John MacDonald of Dunmanway, by whom he had a daughter Mary who united this family once more with the Mac Finnins of Ardtully by marrying the late Eugene Mac Finnin, brother of the Very Rev Dr MacCarthy, vice-president of Maynooth.’
According to MacCarthy Glas, Donagh Og operated as an outlaw during the 1790s before departing to France. He does not explain how Eugene Mac Finin (born 1803) could have married the great, great grand-daughter of Dr Diarmuid MacEoin and his wife Angel. It is possible but not very likely. For this and for other reasons, it is likely that Diarmuid had at least passed his prime before 1750. Since we know that the father of William Callanan also practised medicine in Clonakilty distrtict, it is likely that he was none other than Diarmuid MacEoin and that William was born in Ballymacowen about the year 1733.
If one turns to the right on the main Clonakilty-Cork road just before Jones’ Bridge, a journey of less than two miles brings one to the Callanan homestead. The landscape is, or was a short while ago, saturated with traditional lore. A little distance to the east lies the MacCarthy Cruimin castle of Ballinroher. Here in the mid 18th century lived another Callanan family who had a mill, an orchard and a farm. Laurence Callanan, who was born to this family in 1763, later became a Carmelite in Kinsale. Apart from a short period in Knocktopher, Co Kilkenny, he spent most of his priestly life in Kinsale where he was Prior from 1801 to 1813. He died on September 28, 1837. Sixty years later hsi remains were transferred to a new tomb.
Down nearly to our own day the memory of An tAthair Labhras was venerated by the people of all this area. His name was coupled with that of An tAthair Padraig Ó Mainnin, born at Inchy Bridge. The mill later passed to a Hayes family from Bandon who erected new buildings. In 1857, it was taken over by the well-known milling family, the Hurleys of Tuoghveale. In October 1885, during the Land War, Tim Hurley fought grimly to save his homestead against the besieging Peelers. His newphew Thomas O’Leary was a mine of information on the area.
In the nearby Leaca na Luaithe was born Tadhg an Astna O’Donovan who led the United Irishmen at the Battle of the Big Cross about three miles to the west, on June 19th 1798. His sweetheart whose first name was Eleanor, composed a caoin for him which was still extant at the beginning of the century. Where the Whites now live in Ballymacowen at least two families lived in 1798. The menfolk fought at the Big Cross. After the battle, two Yeomen entered the yard possibly in pursuit of the tenants. They were killed by the wives and their bodies were buried nearby. In the same townland is Bearna Cois Eoin. There was a forge at this crossroads where pikes were made for the rising of 1798.
To the north west in Lisselane lived Diarmuid ‘Tresilia’ Hurley, grandson of the last lord of Baile na Carraige. Diarmuid fought at the siege of Limerick (1690) and with his nephew Seamus an tUrchair (Marksman) lived for years ‘on their keeping’ until pardoned through the good offices of a Protestant friend. Diarmuid awaits the resurrection in Clogagh with many others of his clan including Charlie Hurley, brigadier of the Third Cork Brigade in the War of Independence. Seamus had several sons, including Fr Randal, a well-known penal age pastor of Belgooly. Several generations were masons in Clonakilty. The late Jim Hurley, battalion commandant in the Third Cork Brigade, was in the direct line. His mother was an O’Donovan Astna.
It was in keeping with the traditions of the Callanans, hereditary physicians fo the late MacCarthy Riabhach, that William should become a doctor. We do no know where he qualified. Edinburgh possibly. Nor do we know where he set up in Clonakilty, perhaps in 1766 when land was advertised to let in Lisselane lately in possession of William Callanan and Timothy MacCarthy. He was certainly there by 1777 whn his residence was marked on the Taylor and Skinner road map of the area. Seventeen such residents were recorded between Cork and Clonakilty, eleven more on the way to Baltimore. All the others belonged to the Protestant ascendancy. His residence was also noted in the ‘Post Chaise Companion’ of 1786 as being ‘within half a mile of Clonakilty’. It was then called Mount Shannon, later Scartagh Cottage.
Its inclusion in the map and in the ‘Companion’ was probably a tribute by the surveyors to the hospitality as to his place in society. The property had belonged to a branch of the Townshends since the 17th century. On February 1st, 1783, John Townshend of Courtmacsherry leased the ‘house, houses, land and glebes in Shirtagh’ to William Callanan. The doctor did not depend on his medical practice for his prosperity. He was also a merchant and owned extensive stores in the Long Quay area. On June 19th 1802, he demised to Richard Begley ground on the Strand where the latter had his house and deal yard. It was bounded on the north by the road to Timoleague (Strand Road) and on the south within thirty-six feet of the outer part of the Long Quay. Begley was given ‘liberty to cut a dock thirty feet wide through the Long Quay to the main channel and to land and ship all goods and merchandise.’
Not surprisingly, Callanan identified himself with the men of property in their fight against the Whiteboys. He took a prominent part in the formation of the Carbery Union in Clonakilty on February 1st, 1792, ‘to keep peace and good order in the neighbourhood.’ This may startle those who regard the United Irishmen as the heirs of the Whiteboys or at least part of the same tradition. Timothy O’Driscoll, a Whiteboy leader from Skibbereenm was condemned for his part in that insurrection. Daniel Sullivan, senior, and Daniel Sullivan, junior, were later condemned for attempting to rescue him by force. Several people lost their lives in this attempt. O’Driscoll was flogged between the North Gate Bridge and the South Gate Bridge in Cork. He was also flogged through Baltimore and Skibbereen. Yet in 1798 he betrayed the United Irishmen. Dr Callanan was one of their leaders.
On Saturday May 26th 1798, Father John Murphy of Boolavogue raised the standard of revolt on Oulart Hill in Wexford. Victory here was followed by the capture of Ferns, Enniscorthy and Wexford. The main insurgent army then marched to attach New Ross, the gateway to the west. They were under the command of Bagenal Harvey, a Protestant landowner. Unfortunately, three days were wasted encamped on Carrickbyrne Hill, within a few hours march of New Ross where General Johnson prepared for the defence of the town. The south west awaited news of this battle with bated breath. Brigadier Sir John Moore had been ordered to disarm the Carberies in April. In three weeks he had received over 800 pikes and 3,400 stand of arms ‘the latter very bad.’ He recorded in his diary: ‘I found only two gentlemen who acted with liberality or manliness; the rest seemed actuated by the meanest motives. The common people have been so ill-treated by them and so often deceived that neither attachment or confidence any longer exists.’ Let Rickard Deasy of the brewery family take up the story. He was a contemporary witness.
‘When General Sir John Moore marched off with the light Companies to Wexford and considerably weakened the Garrison of Bandon, it occurred to the Stawells of Kilbrittain, including their relatives Eustance and William, that the moment was favourable to march upon Bandon and if possible make a commencement by taking it. They sent for old Dr Callanan to know how much the Western District would contribute of force to this undertaking. He accordingly went to Kilbrittain and found the Stawells most sanguine about its success and most anxious to march with what force could be mustered to the attack of the place. Callanan, however, prevailed on them to postpone it for a few days, till they would know the result of an impending battle that was to take place in Wexford. It did take place and ended in the defeat of the rebels at New Ross and also frustrated this intended attack upon Bandon. Leaders such as the Stawells were (not?) alone wanting at that time oto raise the whole country as far as Bantry into a general insurrection even as far as an armed brig of war, then lying in Castletown, had its crew in such a disaffected state as to be ready on getting the word to bring the arms and guns of the vessle on shore.’
West Cork did rise on June 19th when the Westmeath militia were ambushed between Shannonvale and Ballinascarthy on the then main road to Cork. The ambush was a disasterous failure. Three days later, on June 22nd, the rebels were defeated at Vinegar Hill. On July 20th, the last Wexford army in the field surrendered in Co Kildare. On August 23rd a force of Frenchh landed at Killada under General Humbert. Rickard Deasy was in Cork about this time and was given an account printed by Grierson, the King’s printer in Dublin. On the way home he spread the news which was everywhere received with great joy.
‘In Clonakilty I communicated it to old Doctor Callanan, who was then on his way to a patient in Skibbereen and he spread it through the town where it was received with equal gladness. Saml Townsend, the then High Sheriff, having also heard it, on coming into the town he at once set about finding the author of such alarming intelligence and on tracing it to the Doctor he brought him to a severe acount as the spreader of false news and he was about to forward him to Cork jail unless he gave up the author. To save himself from so unpleasant a mode of travelling to Cork, he told him that I was the person from whom he had it.’ Deasy, however, had already safeguarded himself by reporting the news to the authorities.
On the morning of July 27th 1803, the day of Emmet’s Rising in Dublin, Callanan’s house in Clonakilty was visited by Lieut Douglas, accompanied by Thomas Hungerford of the Island and Rev William Stewart. They arrested the doctor, his son, and his guest of eight months William Todd Jones and conveyed them to Cork jail. ‘My person has been assaulted in my bed at daybreak in the respectable mansion of a venerable friend, Dr Callanan, near Clonakilty, and I have been conveyed very strongly guarded by troops to an ignominious common goal; on reaching which, at the moderate distance of 22 miles, I have been wantonly exhibited like an already convicted felon, for two long summer days,’ the first and second of August, in Orange triumph, to the gaze of a very crowded Bandon rabble; and thence paraded through all the streets of Cork, as if in progress to execution.’
Likewise, he describes the arrest of Dr Callanan ‘physician of the age of seventy’ torn from his sick bed and of his son. He writes of Callanan as ‘a man of eminent for a long professional life, dedicated to the poor, and to the peasants whose fears kept pace with his progress.’
Fr David Wals of Barryroe, and Mr Good were also arrested and conveyed to the County Gaol. Douglas Hungerford and Steward were all Orangemen. Mr Steward lived in the ‘Wellfield’ near Baile an Aifrinn where he operated a dairy which supplied Clonakilty with milk. He never held a benefice as a clergyman but for many years was a magistrate in the area. Fr David Walsh was a native of Cloyne diocese. He had been curate in Clogagh in 1792 and was parish priest of Barryroe from 1794 to 1815 when he was transferred to Clonakilty. His brother James came from Cloyne to Kilmoylerane and was buried in Kilmaloda in 1830. He is said to be the ancestor of all the Walshes in Ballinascarthy. This may not be completely accurate as one branch of the Crowleys was known as Crowley Breathnach. Farran townland was known as Fearran na mBreathnach.
William Todd Jones was a member of a wealthy Protestant family. He had been one of the delegates from Antrim to the volunteers’ convention in Dungannon in 1873 and later a member of the old ‘apartheid’ Irish Parliament. He was a fearless and outspoken advocate of the rights of Catholics. When Musgrave published his bigoted history of the rebellion of 1798, Todd Jones challenged him on several points. This led to a duel between the two.
The other prisoners were released soon after arrest. Todd Jones was held for over eleven weeks ‘without even having been shown my indictment, or been told the name of my accusers.’ He was then discharged by the County Sheriff ‘untried, unbailed, unexamined and unredressed.’ He spent several years of his later life in an attempts to vindicate himself. Why was he arrested and kept in confinement for so long? A contemporary, Rickard Deasy, had a poor opinion of him as a conspirator. ‘He was a giddy, light-headed gentlemanly person, swith some share of cleverness, but very ill-qualified for a political conspirfator.’ He had stayed with Deasy’s brother-in-law, Barry Cotter of Millstreet, so Deasy had advance warning of him as a ‘security risk.’
Todd Jones’ later letters suggested that his real motive for his extended tour of Ireland was to collect material for a book. The book may have been due to panic. At the time of his arrest, the London ‘Courier’ reported that the peasantry in Rosscarbery carried their weapons to Mass with them and mounted a guard over them while Mass was being said. The treatment meted out to him was probably official harassment. Those who wield power without check or balance are very often vindictive towards those who cross them. Todd Jones was never forgiven by the Ascendancy for his stand for the rights of Catholics.
William Callanan lived on until 1809. Padraig Óg Ó Scolaí of Ardfield took part in the skirmish at the Big Cross. He afterwards wrote a ballad in Irish describing the events of the day. (The words are available in Peadar Ó hAnnracháin’s ‘Fe Bhrat na Chonnartha’ and in ‘Clonakilty: Past and Present’, 1959)
After the rising he spent several years in the United States. On December 22nd 1808, he and P Driscoll wrote a joint letter from Boston to their friend James White who had gone to South Carolina. It contains this paragraph: ‘B Scholley is very sorry to hear that Dr Callanan is no more but is exceedingly happy to learn he has died in the bosom of the Catholic Church. With his departing spirit has fled all that remains of humanity, rational liberty and genuine patriotism which that part of Ireland could boast of.’ We do not know why Callanan had been estranged from the church. Perhaps because of his revolutionary ideas. Tension is inevitable between a church which must by its very nature be dedicated to peace and those who advocate violence to extirpate injustice. What is remarkable, however, is that in Ireland, this tension has rarely led to a final parting between the church and individual Catholics.
Callanan had at least two sons and four daughters. John entered Trinity College in February 1794 but did not persevere for very long. In 1802 he was engaged in his father’s business in Clonakilty. He married Catherine McCarthy, whose father, Peter, was a very wealthy merchant in the town. In 1815, he and his wife took up residence in Cork. Medical practice in Clonakilty was not very lucrative. The Napoleonic Wars had probably curtailed his business. At any rate he was at this time deeply in debt to his father-in-law. He was presented with a piece of plate, probably by his patients. The list of subscribers gives a curious insight into the Ireland of that period. It included John Goold who had been arrested with his father and Rev William Stewart who had arrested him with the latter’s son, Rev Dr Stewart. Fr James Roche, curate in Clonakilty, and Fr Jerh Moloney, pastor of Rosscarbery, were signatories, as were six Protestant ministers, including the Stewarts. Cromwellian names, Hungerford, Townshend, Bennett, Sealy, Beamish, Toye, abound among the fifty-four subscribers, as do the names of the leading Catholic citizens, Dr James Donovan, Peter McCarthy, James Redmond Barry, Rickard Deasy and James Moloney.
William Callanan’s daughter, Mary Anne, married Dr John Richard Elmore, who took up residence in the Callanan home in Scartagh in 1815. His income from his medical practice was not great. But he set up the largest linen factory in Munster in Clonakilty ‘near Mill Street’ and was one of the most prominent figures in the efforts to promote the economic prosperity of the area. He was one of a small minority of Englishmen who have been sensitive to the needs of Ireland and he courageously defended the good name of his adopted country. His wife died in 1827 and he himself was declared bankrupt in 1828. He then went to London. His son, Alfred, entered the schools of the Royal Academy in 1832 and in 1934 exhibited a picture in the Academy, a promising starty for a youth of nineteen.
Dr Albert Callanan became one of the best known doctors practising in Cork city. In 1852 he still retained property in Clonakilty in the Long Quay area. He was a generous benefactor to the Convent of Mercy which was set up in his old home in 1856. The Rosminian fathers in Upton also benefited from his generosity. Albert Callanan died at his residence in Charlotte Quay on April 5th 1862. His wife and family had all died before him. The main beneficiary of his will was his nephew Alfred Elmore, by then an eminent painter. Elmore died on January 24th 1881, at St Alban’s Road, Kensington. His mortal remains line in Kensal Green Cemetery.
The Callanan family were apothecaries in Blarney Lane, Cork in the 18th century and were intermarried with many medical families.
Cork Medical Callanans:
|1775||Dominic Callanan||Apothecary||Cork City||A List of several Papists who came before the Mayor of the City of Cork, took the Oath of Allegiance, with the Quality, Title, Place of Abode, and the Days on which the appeared. 6th August. 1775.|
|1787||Dominic Callanan||South Main Street||Lucas Directory 1768, Died Callanan, Dominick, Mr., Apothecary, South Main-street – (HC 28/1/1790)||Married Miss Jane Minton, Bandon January 1784 ‘Beautiful, young, blessed with a fortune £5,000 sterling||Came before Lord Mayor as papist and took Oath of Allegiance 1775 (Mary Heaphy transcribed)|
|1824||James Callanan||Alos Druggist Barrack-street||Pigot’s Directory 1824||Another Callanan was an attorney in Barrack St at this time|
|1775||Dr. John Callanan, MD||Doctor||Cork City||A List of several Papists who came before the Mayor of the City of Cork, took the Oath of Allegiance, with the Quality, Title, Place of Abode, and the Days on which the appeared. 6th August. 1775.||Will of George Tarrant 1822 proved in Prerogative Court Cantebury leaves roperty at Ballyaheen to his reputed son Samuel Tarrant hedl from the late Dr. O’Regan, Mallow, and houses in Mallow held under deed executed by Dr. Calllanan Cork deceased.|
|1791||Dr. John Callanan||Doctor||Callanan, John, Esq., Md., to Miss Kelly – (HC 15/8/1791)||Freeman. Callanan John Esquire M.D. 16/9/1796|
|1803, 1805||John Callnan||Barrack St.||Holden’s Directory 1805||Father Michael died 1770 John to continue||1829 return transcribed by Kae Lewis||1775 Dr. John Callanan, Doctor of Physic. Cork City.Oath of Allegince|
|1764||Kain Callnan||Selling anti venereal pills, Surgeon and Apothecary, Tuckey St.||Cork Journal 11th October 1764|
|1826, 1842||Albert Henry Callanan MD||Doctor||From Clonakilty medical family. Going for election as physician at House of Recovery on death of Dr. Martin||Dr Albert Callanan became one of the best known doctors practising in Cork city. In 1852 he still retained property in Clonakilty in the Long Quay area. He was a generous benefactor to the Convent of Mercy which was set up in his old home in 1856. The Rosminian fathers in Upton also benefited from his generosity. Albert Callanan died at his residence in Charlotte Quay on April 5th 1862. His wife and family had all died before him. The main beneficiary of his will was his nephew Alfred Elmore, by then an eminent painter. Elmore died on January 24th 1881, at St Alban’s Road, Kensington. His mortal remains line in Kensal Green Cemetery.||Attending protest meeting Cork 1842 re Medical Charities Bill and effect on fever hospitlas,|
|Died 1801||Michael Callanan||Son John to continue a different Michael with son John died 1770||Multiple references to Callnans in Exham deeds at Cork Archives, also multiple Doctors in family involved in property i.e.Dr. Callnan 1772|
|1787, 1801 Died||Michael Callanan||South Main Street||Lucas Directory 1768. Died Callanane, Michael, Mr., Apothecary, son John to continue business – (HC 29/10/1801)||Mrs Callinan wife of Michael Apothecary died 12th March 1795. Possibly the father of James 2nd son, b 3rd January 1783, mother Elizabeth McCarthy, admitted to KIngs Inns 1800 p. 92 online admission records. May be the Michael Apothecary who married Miss McCarthy, Clonakilty, November 1778||Family may be related to JJ Callanan poet 1786-1829 his father was JOhn MD associated with McCarthys Burke doctors. Died at his house at Barrack St, Michael Callinan, Apothecary 26th October 1801.||Son, 1801, John advertising he had served with his late father Michae, and has attended during two years chemical and medical lectures in Dublin.|
|Died 1767||Mr Callanan||Apothecary||Fell from horse near Carryrohane and died next day||Rosemary FFolliott|
|Died 1779||Callanan, James,||Surgeon||Callanan, James, Mr., Surgeon, son Mr. Owen, Apothecary – (HC 5/2/1770)|
|1734, 1756, 1770 Died||Owen Callanan||1734 subscriber to ‘An Essay on Epidemic Diseases’. 1755 daughter of eminent apotecary married Dr Haly||CALLANAN, OWEN, near South-gate, CORKE JOURNAL 1756 (CJ 4/3/1756)
In ad JTC 1st August 1765 letting of two fields at the Lough ready to mow contact him or Cornelius Leary Realeigh near Macroom father Art Ó Laoighre outlaw. Died Callanan, James, Mr., Surgeon, son Mr. Owen, Apothecary – (HC 5/2/1770)
|Daughter marries Eugene Sweeney Bookseller and newspaper printer (Cork Journal). Wife died near South Gate September 1758. Son James died January 1770 at his house near North Gate bridge. Daughter died May 1764.||The Callnan family were hereditary physicians to the McCarthy Riabhach family. CJ 4/3/1756) – TO be let in the town of Youghall, from the 25th of March next or such term as shall be agreed, the house near the clock-gate, wherein Thomas Hough shoemaker lately dwelt. For particulars, enquire of Mrs. Catherine Roche, near said house, or Mr. Owen Callanan near South-gate, Corke.||https://durrushistory.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/callnan-family-hereditary-physicians-to-the-mccarthy-riabhachs-1798-in-west-cork-dr-john-richard-elmore-owner-of-largest-linen-mill-in-munster-in-clonakilty-1820s-and-dr-william-and-albert-callnan/|
|1772 (November)||Owen Callinan||Rosemary FFolliott|
|1765||Miss Callanan||Married Dr Haly (Healy?) daughter of Mr. Calanan eminent apothecary, August 1762||John T Collins|
|1812||Dr. Thoms Callanan MD||Doctor||1812 election voted Hutchinson.|