Carrigbuie, from George Bennett’s History of Bandon 1869
About five miles south-west of Bantry is the pretty little village of Carrigbuie. It is agreeably situated at the head of Dunmanus Bay–one of the great inlets from the Atlantic–and in a district where copper barytes, flags, and slate of superior quality, are to be found in abundance. The copper-mines in this locality are favorably known. The “south band,” which runs along the coast from Mizen-head to Roaring-water, has already produced copper-ore worth a hundred thousand pounds. The Bandon barytes mine has rewarded the energy and perserance of a Liverpool company with a yield of several thousands of tons. Flag quarries, which overhang the sea, produce flags of a fine buff co lour, and are represented as capable of being worked to great advantage; and the slate veins of Sea-lodge and Rossmore, already traced to a length of two miles, are found to have an average width of ninety feet. These are also worked by an English company, who has a ready market for their produce in France, as well as in many parts of England and Scotland. “After a careful and minute search of the Carrigbuie estate of the Earl of Bandon, we find,” say Messrs. Thomas and Son, the eminent mining engineers, who have been for a long time acquainted with that country, “that there are no less than thirteen ploughlands that contain minerals, offering every inducement to the capitalist to develop them.”*
Carrigbuie-that is, the yellow rock-lies in a well-sheltered vale, through which flows a noisy stream, which empties itself into the bay here. Previous to the expiration of the lease by which Carrigbuie was held under the Earls of Bandon, it consisted of but a few thatched cabins, which are described as being both filthy and miserable. These have now disappeared; and a great improvement has taken place in its appearance, as well as in its prospects, since it has come into Lord Bandon’s hands. The mud cabins have been replaced by rows of clean and substantial houses. Good-sized shops display tempting wares in their windows and on their shelves. A post-office delivers and dispatches the inhabitants’ letters. A dispensary is furnished with every requirement for the sick; and a hospitable hotel, with its well-supplied table and its comfortable accommodation, helps to persuade the traveller that he is at home.
Durrus Church is but a short distance from Carrigbui It was built about the year 1798, on the site of a chapel-of ease, which was used for divine service before the breaking out of the great rebellion in 1641. After the suppression of that memorable rising it does not appear to have been used again; as in little more than sixty years afterwards, although its walls (which were built of large square stones, imbedded in clay mortar) were standing, its roof was gone.
Most of the lands of Durrus and Kilchohane were forfeited by the Irish proprietors in 1641. In the reigns of William the Third and Queen Anne, the principal landed proprietors in this immense district were Judge Bernard, Lord Angelese, Colonel Freke, Lord Cork, Mr. Hull, Mr. Hutchins, and Major Eyre.
*Vide Descriptive reports on the mines, minerals, flag, and slate quarries on the estate of the Earl of Bandon in the south-west of the county of Cork, printed at the Mining Journal office, Fleet Street, London, 1865.