1827, Lost, Beagle Bitch answers to name of ‘Lily’. Belongs to Dr. O’Donovan, O’Donovan’s Cove, Durrus, Reward to Person if Poor.
This may be the celebrated Dr. O’Donovan active in Famine Relief adn author of a History of Carbery. Up to the 1830s there was a large beaging establishment at O’Donovan’s Cove. There may have been a change in the law at the time ending it.
The general area of uplands was much used for hunting, to the East Lord Bandon from 1850 used Durrus Court as a shooting lodge and paid some of the tenant to act as Gamekeepers.
Across the Bay in the 1870s Michael Morris of Friendly Cove (Evanson descendant) held coursing meetings at Coolculaghta.
In the newspaper ad there is a reference to Barrett of Dunmanway. That family were intermarried to the O’Donovans of the Cove. One branch of of the Barrett family were agent…
View original post 17 more words