1731. Purchase by Colonel Tonson of Lisacaha, Schull, West Cork from Burlington Estate (Successors to Boyle, Great Earl of Cork) Reserving Manor Court of Ballydehob).
It is likely that Boyle acquired most of the Mizen Peninsula from the O’Mahonys and O’Driscolls by mortgage default. He was often criticised for his legal chicanery and his actions contributed to the general uprising in West Cork in 1641.
The Tonsons purchases were litigated in the 1850s as to whether the mineral right were included or not. At that stage the area had promising mineral deposits.
The Tonsons are likely Hulls of Lemcon Castle Schull name changed to inherit property.
In the late 17th early 18th century the Devonshire/Boyle/Burlington Estate was jointly managed by Jeremiah/Jeremy Coughlan, from Carrigmanus a Protestant Attorney and Seneschal of Dungarvan and Andrew Crotty a Catholic. Coughlan’s married a sister of Nathaniel Evanson of Durrus and they jointly rented ploughlands at Durrus from The Bernards (later Earls of Bandon).
The Manor Court was still in operation in the early 19th century and came in for adverse comment by John Jagoe of Bantry: