Popes Quay, Cork, someone got it wrong.
An old sign at one end of the Quay in the Irish Translation suggested that the Quay is called after the Pope in Rome. The other Irish version has the corrects signage insofar as it is called after the Merchant family.
Camden Quay is named after Lord Camden who was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and visited Cork in 1795. Pope’s Quay is named after the widow of Thomas Pope who lived in Cork in the early eighteenth century. The Council Book of the Corporation of Cork records that ‘In November 1718 permission was granted to the Widow Pope to build a quay between Alderman Brown’s Quay and Mr Farren’s Quay’.